in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

ARC Review: Her Stand-In Boyfriend by Kelly Jamieson


Her Stand-In Boyfriend started off really great. I was digging the friends turn into something more vibe. I loved the relationship between Lexi and Mac. I also really liked the relationship Lexi had with her girl friends. Then sadly, I was let down. It was because of the use of the “F” word... again.

I usually don’t mind the use of the “F” word as long as it is used sparingly and as long as it is not used as a reference to sex. First it wasn’t used too often and the initial intimate scene started off strong. Its use increased more and more throughout the story and was used several times in reference to sex. It just grinds at my nerves. I don’t think it’s romantic or sexy.

Since I’m talking about words I don’t like, here are two more that Her Stand-In Boyfriend overused – baby and Christ (when using the name in vain). Both of those just made me grit my teeth! Another weird thing was the use of the word "frackin’". You’ve already broken the F bomb a lot with the book and then randomly throw in that? It made no sense!

Removing the horrible words from the story would make such a better book. I felt for both parties, and I was rooting for the Happily Ever After. I wish a little more of Mac’s apparent nerdiness would have shown. The inner dork in me was looking for a connection. It was a sweet romance. I love stories where the guy has been secretly in love with a girl for a long time. I would have given the story 4 stars if not for the bad wordage, so for those of you who don’t mind, go pick up this book!

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |



2 comments :

  1. I love all kinds of relationships! If the story is good it doesn't matter to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book should not be given a low rating because the characters swear too much. The reviewer needs to look at the story, dialogue, characters, pacing and the overall feel of the book.

    ReplyDelete