in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, February 26, 2015

ARC Review: Promise Me by Hilary Wynne


Promise Me is the third book in the Alexa Reed series by Hilary Wynne. Each book continues the story of Alexa and Julian, and these books need to be read in order. If you have not read the previous two books, you will need to start there and I would suggest not reading this review so that nothing is spoiled about the story so far. I have really enjoyed this series so far, and I love Alexa and Julian's characters so much. I will say that they have both frustrated me at times, but I have never stopped rooting for them. 

Promise Me picks up after the events of Hold On, with the reconciliation of Julian and Alexa. For the first time in this series, the tables are turned with Alexa all in and Julian struggling with their relationship. Though he loves her and wants her, Julian has trouble trusting her this time around after she left him when he needed her most. Alexa is determined to show him that she is done running though, and she knows that she has to rebuild the trust between them. But Alexa is also keeping a secret that she knows will destroy any solid ground that they have found again. When the truth comes out, will it destroy any chance of a future for them? 

I love Julian, and that has been true from the very start. But I will say that he drove me nuts in this book at times. Not that I blame him for having issues after everything that they have been through, but he was definitely different this time around. There were times that I felt like he was punishing Alexa for her mistakes, and he was so quick to judge her. He wasn't the same caring and loving guy that he had been before, and it really broke my heart to see him treat her as he did. I knew he was hurting, but I wish that he would have been able to move forward and see all the positive changes that Alexa had been making. Alexa was stronger than ever in this book, and I loved seeing her finally have faith in their relationship. She was willing to stand up and fight for them, and she also dealt with her insecurities and fears much better. She was far from perfect, but the progress she had made was amazing. I loved seeing her work so hard to stand by Julian, even when he didn't make it easy. I felt like she really showed just how committed she was and the depth of her feelings was clear for anyone to see. These two have always had such an emotional connection, and chemistry has never been a problem for them. But this book was the hardest one yet for me to get through because of how disconnected they were at times. 

Overall, I was glad to see how things turned out in this book and I am glad that I stuck with this one. It was hard to read at times, and it definitely brought out so many emotions for me. I love Julian and Alexa, and I have always believed that these two were meant to be together. They never seem to catch a break though, and the push and pull from each book did get old. I wanted them to start facing problems together rather than apart, and I felt like they still haven't been able to do that. As much as I enjoy some angst and drama, I was ready for it to be outside of the relationship between the two of them. Hilary Wynne has said that a possible fourth book might be in the works and as much as I would love more of these two, I really feel like it has to be different if she goes ahead with it. As fantastic and Julian and Alexa are, these two can't keep doing the back and forth and I think if that is the story next time around it will really kill this series for me. We leave them in a good place at the end of this book, and I would love to get more of them assuming that they can at least deal with things as a team from here on out. I am all for more when it comes to a series as long as the story is right and doesn't feel forced. These are starting to get a forced feeling to me because as great as these two are, the problems always seem to be the same but just with a slightly different cause each time. I think that Hilary Wynne is a great writer, but there is only so many ways to do the same story and after awhile it needs to end. If you have not read this series, I would absolutely recommend it. Julian and Alexa are great together, and I like that they are so real. They are flawed and imperfect, but what makes them so special is how perfect they are for each other.

**ARC Provided by Enticing Journey Book Promotions**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes | 





0 comments :

Post a Comment